Sunday, April 26, 2015

Primum non nocere

Primum non nocere means, "First, do no harm" in Latin.

Do you know what is CTG? It is a medium for the fetus (baby in mummy's womb) to communicate with you, doctors! Beside the ability for printing out the fetal heart rates on a graph paper, it also shows maternal's womb contraction and sometimes in some machine, mummy's heart rates also was shown.

I am still a houseman (HO), whatever that I did wrongly, my medical officer (MO) will have to answer in the morbidity and mortality review meeting, or even worst, in the perinatal mortality review meeting.

However, when your MO didn't blame you for your mistakes, that doesn't mean that I am right or I am ok with it. Tears dropped this morning when I was holding the patient's CTG. I need to be more competent and confident. Even though I am sure of something, at least, I have to inform my MOs.

Lesson learnt yesterday. Hopefully the baby is now in NICU, not another place.

No comments:

Post a Comment