Saturday, December 5, 2015

A little explanation can solve a BIG problem

Jumping up from my bed, I was late. It was 5.40am already :( For the first time I took shower and dressed up within 10 mins, for the first time I drove to the hospital within 10 mins...I love to reach hospital early because I love to review the patient slowly :P But, too bad, this morning I have to review patients like a bullet train, no choice.

Yesterday a patient insisted to go back regardless of her baby high serum bilirubin. I was heated up as well by her request, but at last I chose to lower down my voice and talked slowly to her. Explained to her the consequences of high serum bilirubin.

Today, a patient refused for blood taking. I was having my lunch when one of my colleague told me that. As I walked back to the ward, I was thinking how to make the patient agree for us to take her baby's blood. At last, I showed her all her daughter's previous blood result and told her one by one the need of all the blood investigation and also why do we do the CXR for her baby. She is very keen to know each one of it, only for me to realize that our biggest problem is the lack of communication between patients and the doctors. And hence, I have decided to communicate with patients more after this, instead of history taking only, I will try to explain to them what I am doing, hopefully time is not my limitation. If it is my own child or family members, of course I wouldn't let u come and poke poke them and just go away :)

Another treasure I collected today ^_^ Hopefully, this two years of training will mould me into a good doctor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment